So because of testing at work I was able to leave (much) earlier than normal and head to the boat. I got there around 4:30 and dug around in the various nooks and crannies until jnasser got there.
Useful things that I found:
2 sealed packages of bottled water
Replacement Anemometer (the plastic three armed cup part)
3/4 Bottle of "Heavy Duty Bilge Cleaner"
1/2 Bottle of Bug Spray
1/8 Bottle of Boat Soap
1/2 Bottle of metal polish
Plastic Key for the fuel/water fill spouts
The heavy duty bilge cleaner said to dump the bottle in before sailing and the heeling of the boat would scrub the bilge. So I tried it...I guess it's cleaner in there now...::shrug::
After jnasser got there, we discovered that battery issues had struck again...I was unwilling to sail with the chance that we might not be able to start the engine to bring us home. However I was also determined to get out on the water. We decided to motor around the lake a bit so I could improve my handling of the boat while under power.
Leaving the slip was a bit tense, but only a bit (I planned on backing out in a graceful 90 degree arc before shifting the throttle forward, but I pushed forward a bit too hard and too soon and our port side came about 8 inches from the end of the dock). Motoring out of the marina, past the seawall, through the channel and into the lake went just fine. Motoring in the lake for about an hour was good for me (I have a much better feel for the boat under power now) and with the exception of a brief accidental jib-unfurling incident all went well.
Returning to the slip was pretty smooth with the exception of the risers. Every other time I have come into a slip there have been cleats on the dock. Our marina doesn't do dock cleats, they have risers (picture a vertical metal pole attached to each piling and attached to that metal pole are metal rings that you tie down to). Apparently these work very well in the case of tropical storms and hurricanes (the marina didn't lose a single boat in Ike) but I'm not entirely sure how to use them on the way into the slip.
Here is what we did:
I was at the helm, jnasser held a cleated bow line near the shrouds.
As we past the end of the pier, jnasser stepped to the pier and tossed me the stern line we had left hooked to the riser.
I straightened out as best I could, then wrapped the line half way around the cleat to finish stopping the boat. He took the bowline along the pier to tie to the riser. At this point I killed the engine, we switched places, and I secured the two bow lines while he secured the remaining stern line.
What we did worked: The boat was under control at all times, and only gently touched the finger pier (from a strong pull from a line, not driven under power) one time, never came close the boat next to us, and is now tied down properly in accordance with the marina policy. However, it didn't feel quite right. I am used to having cleats on the dock that can be used to help guide the boat into slip, and it felt wrong to leave the stern lines on their risers as we left (they are eye spliced with the line pulled through the eye around the riser, and I couldn't think of a quick way to release them as we left)...
Of course this is also the first time I was out with only one other person...so the issue may be with number of crew and proper techniques...
Any thoughts from my sailing peanut gallery?
Well, we closed on the boat on saturday, however with wind gusts of 50 mph and lightning predicted for the rest of the weekend we waited until today to move her to her new slip. We motored out into Clear Lake and sailed for about an hour before heading in to Legend Point. Cruising through the two marinas it was surprising to me how small we felt...27 feet is more than enough to keep the two of us (plus the toddlers!) busy, even on a gentle evening sail in light airs...but wow, lots of 40+ ft boats out there.
R very much likes the boat, especially when I let her help me steer. :) D was unsure, but calmed down a bit after being on the water for about 30 minutes or so.
Three pics under cut. The first is Seas the Day, now in our own slip. :) :) The second was taken during the quick-haul and shows her name (ignore the fender, I blame the fact that I didn't pull that one in as we left the dock on the fact that I was following the surveyor around). Last R and I prepare to tack to a beam reach as we head towards the channel to the marina.
( Seas The DayCollapse )
We made an offer.
Survey didn't turn up anything too surprising
Sea Trial was great.
I really need to stop waiting 12+ months between posts, but with two toddlers finding spare time/cash to sail has been rather difficult. Unfortunately at this point it really has been just over a year since I set foot on a sail boat. However, hopefully soon that will change.
After a period of about 5 years our finances are finally on solid ground and a boat just might be in our future. Nothing extravagant, or new, but a hull, a mast, and a couple of sails is all I ask.
Here is my plan:
The first order of business is to determine the ACTUAL usage this, as yet hypothetical, boat is likely to see.
Second is to determine things like slip fees and other monthly costs.
Third is to figure out the actual budget.
and then finally step 4 is buy a boat.
Any thoughts that any of you have on any of the steps (or steps I may have left out) please let me know!
It has been nearly a year since I last updated this journal. In that time much has happened with little bearing on my sailing experiences, except to say that I am now almost a full year behind where I wanted to be. I am enrolled in the ASA105 coastal navigation class this upcoming weekend and have been working through the 10 chapters in the book on my own since Thursday.
( Today I plotted my first DR linesCollapse )
I stumbled across this boat...she is now my precious...if only I were to find her two years from now...::sigh::
I really love the look of a cutter rigged ketch*. :)
*a cutter rig has two head sails (a gib and a staysail) and a ketch has two masts (each with a sail) the Main and the shorter Mizzen farther aft. Both rigs reduce the area of any given sail making, thus making it easier to manipulate.
oh yeah, she also has a mermaid under the bowsprit :)
I stumbled across this blog today. I'm sure there are many others out there, does anyone know of some particularly good ones i should check out?
Sitting here at 2:00am holding the little one, it seems ages since i last was on the water.
Sailing monday was great!
The wind was AMAZING! The bay was quite choppy and we had to make a quick run back to port at one point for some dramamine, but a good day all around. Monday was also the first time that the power of the wind on the sails frightened me. I had never felt that much power through the boat and I was concerned with how much to do. Canela really liked the heavier winds this time. She flew through the water on reach and run. Close hauled was a bit bumpy, but DAMN! was it FUN!!
Notes to self: (1)when walking the boat out be ready for a gust of wind, or you might be left waving as your friends sail away with out you (2) keep dramamine with sailing supplies (3) more sunscreen is needed (4) more water is needed (5) it is much more difficult to raise and lower the sails in heavier winds.
Notes on Canela: (1) The motor can turn 360 degrees, but other than reversing it should be tightened down and held amidships (2) the jury rigged outhaul should have gone through the single block and been pulled tighter. (3) she has more sails now than last time I took her out, the storm jib and main were fine with the high winds, but next time we might want the genoa...are sails labeled in any standard way? (4) the jib sheets should have been run inside the shrouds, not outside (I was right the way I did it first, but after messing with the halyards for some reaons, I reran them outside the shrouds...close hauled was loud and luffy.
Oh you brave souls who will be taking to the seas (or uhm..bay) with me tomorrow here are the details:
Meet At my house about 9:00am.
We have the boat officially from 10-2 which means we need to be there about 9:45 to fill out paper work. When I spoke to them yesterday, no one else had chartered the boat for later in the day, so we should have access to the boat as long as you guys want. Which I think will mostly depend on the wind (low wind+shiny water=VERY HOT bay).
I haven't looked at the temp for tomorrow yet, but I would plan on at least two bottles of water and one of gatorade each. Lunch we can pick up at target on the way (deli sandwiches or other foods good "cold".
With no one having chartered the boat after us, I will take some time before we leave the dock to show where things are and what they do. :)
Any questions, comment here, email, or call. (which reminds me, the entire bay has cell phone access, so I would recommend bringing yours and stowing it below decks)